How a DUI in Florida Can Affect Your Finances

An arrest—and later conviction—for driving under the influence (DUI) can cost you a great deal of money. In addition to being an immediate financial setback, a DUI can cost you well into the future. In most cases you will need to post bail to get out of jail, or at least pay a bondsman to post the bond for you. In most cases, a typical bond for a DUI case will be from $500-$1500, meaning that you would need to pay a bondsman anywhere from $50-$150 if you were unable to post the full amount yourself. Additionally, if your car was towed at the time of your arrest, you will need to pay anywhere from $100-$200 to release it from the impound lot.moneydownthedrainpic

Unfortunately, these expenses are just the beginning of the financial burdens that come with a DUI charge. You will need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you in your case. If you do not have the money to hire a lawyer, you can ask the judge to appoint a public defender to represent you instead. The fees charged by a private criminal defense attorney can vary, but a typical fee for a first-time DUI ranges from $1000-$5000.

If you are convicted of driving under the influence, you will be required to pay a fine of just under $1000 for a first-time conviction, and larger fines if you have had prior DUI convictions or were documented as having a high breath alcohol level at the time of your arrest. You will also be required to pay court costs and to cover the costs incurred by the police department to investigate your case, which are called “costs of investigation.” A typical cost of investigation ranges from $100-$200.

After your case is resolved, you will likely have to pay a much higher car insurance premium. Florida law requires that after a DUI conviction you obtain and show proof that you have obtained liability coverage. This is meant to protect other drivers in the event of a future automobile accident.

The years that follow your DUI conviction may cost you in less tangible ways. You may lose a job or promotion because of your conviction; when you apply for a new job, you will likely be asked about any prior criminal convictions or arrests. A prospective employer will also conduct a criminal background check, and you may be passed over because of your conviction.

A DUI conviction can be a financial setback for both you and your family, with an economic burden felt immediately and likely to continue for years to come. If you have been arrested for driving under the influence, I encourage you to seek an experienced DUI attorney. In fact, I recommend speaking to at least three criminal defense lawyers in your area before hiring the attorney whom you feel will be your best advocate.

If you would like to speak with me about your case, please feel free to call me at my office in Orlando, Florida at (407)-415-9626.






Resisting Officer without Violence

One common misdemeanor in the State of Florida is a crime called “Resisting officer without violence.”  Florida law officially defines this misdemeanor as follows:jAILCELL

843.02 Resisting officer without violence to his or her person.—Whoever shall resist, obstruct, or oppose any officer as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9); member of the Florida Commission on Offender Review or any administrative aide or supervisor employed by the commission; county probation officer; parole and probation supervisor; personnel or representative of the Department of Law Enforcement; or other person legally authorized to execute process in the execution of legal process or in the lawful execution of any legal duty, without offering or doing violence to the person of the officer, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

In layman’s terms, this statute states that if you “resist” a police officer or someone in a similar role—such as a probation officer—without committing a violent act, the State of Florida can prosecute you for a misdemeanor in the first degree. This charge carries a maximum sentence of 1 year in a county jail. In many cases, a person fleeing from the police during an attempted arrest or an investigation will be charged with this crime. It is important to remember that if you do use violence to resist arrest, you can be charged with a much more serious felony called “Resisting Arrest with Violence.”

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you to determine the best course of action if you are charged with this type of crime. If you would like to speak to me about your case, please feel free to give me a call at my office at (407) 415-9626 or contact me by email me at